Monday, March 7, 2011

Pet Peeve

My very largest pet peeve will forever and always be text talk and lingo. Things like LOL or OMG just make my hair stand on end. You know those cartoons where the face gets really red and steam starts coming out of the ears and nose? Yeah, that's pretty much what I look like when someone decides to use the lingo, shorten words, or completely ignore any punctuation whatsoever. Yeah, yeah, I know that I probably mess up too on my punctuation and grammar sometimes, but really? LOL? I know you're not laughing out loud; you just don't have anything else to say, so you just put that three letter replacement of 3 WORDS. Please don't get me wrong, though, I won't say anything if you use any text lingo. I just get annoyed inside of my head. I really enjoy texting, so don't stop by all means! hahaha

Anyway, the point to this post is that when I got on to the Internet my home page had an article on how text lingo is creeping it student' writing skills. I was utterly shocked by this! Really, student's are turning in papers with the actual lingo it in? With things like LOL, OMG, UR, C, and Charactrz. And the worst part is that the kids know that they're making the mistakes. One of the high school kids-he's 17-they interviewed, said he catches himself making the mistakes all the time and that he along with everybody else use it because they're lazy. Well, that's obvious, but really? I was a little peeved by this and so I decided to share why I am such a stickler with my correct punctuation, correct grammar, and anti-LOL, OMG, and word shortening text lingo. It's a good habit to make.. Just sayin' :)

If you want to read the article just click here. Please, enjoy.

P.S. Part of the article said that part of text lingo is smiley faces like so: :) And I used one at the end of my sentence... I guess that is the only exception to my annoyance. I actually very much like smiley faces. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Annotations